Delight in service and good works.
That is the topic of my lesson for Relief Society this week. I picked more for myself than anyone.
Poet and author Robert Louis Stevenson : “I know what pleasure is, for I have done good work.”
King Benjamin: “When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.”
What are your thoughts on service and how do you DELIGHT in it??
(you can leave an anonymous comment)
1. learning
2. church
3. Sunday afternoons
8 comments:
My thoughts are...... that when I do service especially for someone who really needs it, it is the best feeling in the world. I almost could think of nothing better or that makes me feel better. The times I have done sub for santa's and also going to the homeless shelter etc, it has been the best thing ever. To see that gratitude and joy from someone who really needs your help.
Just having Chanley I was so grateful for all of the people who brought dinner. Though it is small it really made a huge difference in my day. Especially because I felt like I didn't want to move. And to you for helping me with my children.
Just the small things make such a difference. I hope that is what you were looking for.
I LOVE silent service. If I can do something for someone without them knowing or just keep it between US, I find the most joy in that!
I DO COMPLETELY delight in service!!!
wish I could hear your lesson!
Service makes me feel useful and needed. In my old ward the need to serve my neighbors was constant. It filled me with the light of Christ and helped me realize the worth of souls. I felt like I was a part of the neighborhood and that I was appreciated. I think I gained more from the service than the people I served. I learned that God loves all his children no matter their circumstance, I learned that good people are everywhere, I learned that God answers prayers most often through the actions of others. I felt joy and light.
In my new ward I feel like everyone is so on top of things that no one needs me. I am more prone to feeling lonely or isolated. I long for the lonely shut-ins whose faces would light up just by me and the boys stopping by to say hello. Their joy was infectious. I never feel closer to the Savior then when I am doing something for someone else.
I got the red plate as a wedding present. On the bottom it says: The Original Red Plate Co 1979 Made in Germany. Hope that helps. I know the same company makes birthday plates and other ceramic specialty plates.
I have been on both sides of service. It is a very humbling experience being the recipient of service. I delight in it by the feeling I get when I do it- knowing that I helped someone in need- no matter how large or small the need is- is such a wonderful feeling.
Oooh, your lesson is going to be delightful. Can't wait.
Great topic. I just gave a talk in Sacrament on Service THROUGH the Relief Society. If I still have it I'd be happy to forward it to you. :)
Amen, to all the great comments. I am the Nursery Leader in my ward and I love it. When I first took the calling it was to serve because I had been asked. I was a little less thrilled to serve in this calling. Now I think I never really give service because I always receive so much more in return.
R-
A litte late, but ditto LL.
Also, thanks for serving our family ;-) Oh wait, did you get that sign :-)
Post a Comment