
This is Rachel Scott.
She was the first student who died at Columbine High School in April 1999.
Rachel wanted to start a chain reaction. She wrote an essay called "My Ethics, My Codes of Life" a few months before she died.
In it she said she has a theory, that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will never know how far a little kindness can go.
Yesterday at school, Rachel's brother, Craig, came to talk to the students about starting a chain reaction. He had an hour long presentation that he presented to students in 8-12th grade.
Last night, he presented it to the public.
Brandon and I went. Braden saw it at school, so he didn't want to go again.
It was a moving experience. There were not many dry eyes in the audience.
Rachel's Challenge is basically this:
1. Eliminate Prejudice....by looking for the best in others
2. Dare to Dream...set goals, keep a journal
3. Choose your influences...input determines output
4. Kind Words...small acts of kindness=huge impact
5. Start a Chain Reaction...with family and friends
Craig told the kids that it is ok to be nice to someone that is different.
He did it in a way that was different and cool, not a parental way!
I am taking this challenge. I will start a chain reaction.
Each day I will say something to someone that I wouldn't have otherwise.
Will you do it too??
Check out her website:
1. moving experiences
2. people willing to talk about their tragedies
3. change
6 comments:
What a great legacy, and probably so healing for her brother who was left behind. THanks for sharing.
I could never imagine that a teenager could have this much depth. What a tragedy that the world lost her. It is very inspirational...just in time for the holidays! Thanks for passing it along.
He came to our High school a few weeks ago. Alyssa said it was great!! I didn't get to go to the one that was in the evening so I'm glad you filled me in.
GREAT challenge!
I will.
I believe firmly in this ideal.
Agreed!
What an impressive young lady she was. I love that her brother is making sure her voice is heard.
YES! Yes I will.
Post a Comment